Create a festive dining table for you and your family to enjoy this Christmas! Styling your dining table these holidays doesn’t need to be complicated, incorporating a good mix of colour and texture in your tablescape is all you need. Whether you’re going for a formal or laid-back atmosphere at your dining table we are here to help. For a Groove Furniture Christmas we encourage you to use vibrant colours in your decorations for the perfect Christmas in summer feeling.
To get started let’s find some inspiration! Finding a reference image or two that you can refer back to when selecting your styling elements can help you pair back and refine your styling. Creating layered dimensional styling will help to add intrigue to your dining setting and elevate your overall design. Start with one item that you’d love to feature; this may be something you already have and then try to find complementary components to build on.
Tip: A key consideration when setting a table is the size of your styling elements. You don’t want the view of the person sitting across from you obstructed as this will impact the overall feeling and flow of conversation.
Dining Table Essentials
- The ultimate dining table essential…. crockery! What crockery elements you need will be determined by your menu, but we suggest having a small bowl of cherries on the table at all times for some Christmas cheer.
- We love the recent trend of colourful glassware, these can be used for a fancy welcome drink or even water and then kept for everyday use.
- Whilst placemats may not seem like a necessary part of your dining table set up, they’re a great way to layer your table and can help to create a zone for each person at the table.
- Choose cutlery that matches your aesthetic - There are traditions for formal cutlery arrangements or a laid-back affair, we’d opt for wooden cutlery to save time on dishes!
- To match any Christmas dining table aesthetic, flowers and greenery bring in a naturally beautiful element that can complement your styling choices.
- Napkins are a great inclusion to your table whether they’re tied in a knot or an elaborate Christmas theme, they instantly add a layer of texture to your styling.
Your dining table and chairs will also help determine the tone for your table setting. Whites, greys and softer-looking timbers provide the perfect base for you to add some bright, fun styling elements.
Don’t let the finishing touches become an afterthought! A handmade name tag can make all the difference and will allow you to dictate a seating chart (for some Christmases a very welcome addition). For a little something extra, the addition of candles to your tablescape will create a warm and festive atmosphere, and no Christmas table is complete without bon bons - we think winning a colourful paper hat may be the best part of Christmas lunch or dinner.
We hope these styling tips have helped to inspire your dining table this year and wish you a very Merry Christmas! You can keep these table styling tips for all your future dinner parties as well. Don’t be a stranger, for more tips and tricks on styling your entire home, visit our blog or follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.